• 2009 Pinot Noir
    • (750 ml) Sold Out!
See all Wines

Unfortunately this product is no longer available!

You may still be interested in:

Creature feature Recent Press

During the '70's and '80's Navarro experimented with clones and trellises for Pinot Noir. By 1990, with some experience under our belts, we began planting new Pinot Noir vineyards. We now have over 40 acres of Pinot Noir and have reached the point where most of our Pinot Noir is estate grown, including this modestly priced bottling. This bottling is 100% Anderson Valley and 92% of the grapes were grown by Navarro. The other 8% came from our next door neighbor. As harvest approaches, we sample each field every two or three days, tasting the fruit, inspecting the seeds and stems and then, in the lab, measuring sugars, acid and pH. We harvest, ferment and age each picking separately because each lot has a different flavor profile. Blending between fields, clones and rootstocks gives us the ultimate opportunity to practice the winemaking art. Thirty percent of the grapes were the Pommard clone, which is the most successful of the clones propagated by FPS at the University of California at Davis. In Philo it has a very distinct flavor profile of cherry and cassia (cinnamon) bark.

[left] After aging 10 months in seasoned French oak barrels a powerful blend from this warm harvest was selected and bottled.

Eight percent is the Martini clone, another FPS clone which has strong berry flavors and mouth-coating tannins. The balance was produced from five ENTAV selections which are highly regarded clones recently imported from Burgundy, France. After 10 months in seasoned French oak barrels the wine bursts with flavors of juicy Bing cherries with whiffs of chocolate and roasting coffee beans. Gold Medal winner.
We use sheep in the vineyard to eat weeds rather than using herbicides. Navarro employs three Italian livestock guard dogs [left] to protect sheep and lambs from predators. Chickens are rotated into the fields after the sheep to eat insects and stir up the soil. [below]

  • Harvested: Sept. 21 to Oct. 12, 2009
  • Sugars at harvest: 25.6° Brix
  • Bottled: Sept. 1 to 3, 2010
  • Cases produced: 3365
  • Alcohol: 14.3%
  • Titratable acidity: 6.2 g/L
  • pH: 3.69